So, you’re not really a fashion fanatic and you don’t really understand this foreign concept of “style?” You may think that it’s something you are just born with, the fashion gene. You just weren’t one of the lucky ones. Well I’m here to tell you, sir, that you are quite wrong. Anyone can learn how to be stylish. Even you. Doesn’t that sound fantastic?
You should absolutely care about fashion and style no matter who you are. It’s how you are presenting yourself to friends, coworkers, clients, bosses, etc. Especially in a business setting, you want to represent yourself and your team as professional and organized. It also boosts self-image and, in a unique way, it just makes you feel special.
To start, there are a few basic investments you need in your closet. With these items you can start to build a perfect wardrobe. Once you learn how to incorporate these simple pieces into your daily routine, being stylish will become so much easier.
1. Oxford Shoes Sure you have tons of fancy sneakers and loafers, but having a pair of oxford shoes is most important. Special occasions, and work-related meetings or events call for a traditional lace-up dress shoe. If you want to look like a true gentleman and impress your peers invest in a pair. And just face it, slacks with sneakers just looks tacky.
2. Black Suit It’s proper for all gentlemen to our their own suit. At least a two-piece suit, preferably light weight fabric and neutral color, should be hanging in your closet. Black is by far the smartest color suit because it’s appropriate for a wide range of events. I would recommend having the suit, regardless of label or price tag, tailored to fit your body perfectly. When it comes to a suit, the most important element to looking dapper is a proper fit.
3. Neutral Dress Shirts You can’t spend the rest of your life in t-shirts, especially graphic ones with quirky quotes and images. Even though I do have a special place in my heart (and wardrobe) for some vintage rock band tees and they will always be perfect for a low key, off duty look, they don’t always scream maturity. Every man must own a few neutral, solid button-down dress shirts. Simple, classic colored dress shirts are important staples to a grown man’s wardrobe.
4. Classic Pair of Jeans Every man owns a pair of jeans, maybe even a few pairs, but they may not be necessarily the right pair. Denim is such an important part of a man’s attire because it’s so versatile. The right pair can be dressed up or dressed down and wore to almost any function. When investing in the perfect pair of denim, look for a straight leg or classic fit and a dark wash. Stay away from ripped jeans, flared legs, and those horrifying jeans with the bedazzled pockets.
5. Leather Belts It seems simple enough, but many guys over look the power of a belt. Invest in both a black leather belt and a brown leather belt, each with little to no detailing and a simple, metal buckle. Doing so makes each belt versatile, going from casual outings to business setting. Also, it’s important to coordinate the leather belts with the other leathers in your outfit. Never wear a brown belt with and black shoe, and vice versa. It can completely ruin an outfit, and leaves your peers thinking a 5-year-old dressed you. You don’t want people to think that about you. So don’t be lazy or careless when it comes to you outfits. Take the time out to properly dress yourself. You will definitely see a difference in the way you look and feel. And, you know what they say, everygirl is crazy about a sharp dressed man.