Now that season 21 of The Bachelor has ended (cue tears), I feel it necessary to point out five ways Nick Viall managed to open my eyes (and maybe yours).
We can't all be Vanessa, and we aren't all in mad, deep love with Nick, but that doesn't block The Bachelor from seeping into our deepest, darkest feels.
Here's what I mean:
1. There's only one Nick Viall, but finding your own Nick isn't so far fetched. If you're in a relationship like me, watching season 21 somehow opened your eyes more widely to who you have sitting next to you (as cliche as this may sound). Not that you didn't notice what you had before the show, but more so now, you realize it more than you may have before. Like Nick, he's sweet, sensitive, compassionate, big hearted, and above all, he's yours.
2. After all, you didn't have to compete for his heart. Okay, in a sense you may have, but what I mean is, you didn't have to deal with a Taylor along the way. It was you two against the world from day one and nothing (or no one) standing in your way.
3. Denying feelings wasn't necessary. Like Nick, there was no denying your feelings for some time for the sake of saving your own heart. Openly talking about your feelings from the beginning is an option you have and not one you have to run from in almost complete desperation of feared failure.
4. We all have fears going into a new relationship, but not 21 other hearts fear. This isn't something that typically consumes the mind, but that's where The Bachelor comes into play more strongly on this one. We can easily get ideas on how each and every one of the women were feeling, but graciously accepting the fact that we can't relate on a much deeper level is largely taken for granted. Our relationship was two hearts at fear and two hearts only -- mine and his.
5. Taking better care of your own heart is actually possible. Not having to worry about anyone other than yourself and your partner is really an option easily taken for granted. In a non-television based relationship, the two hearts at fear are listened to more closely, simply because we have more time to process our feelings. We aren't on a timeframe and we can put into consideration the heart of our other half. It really is you and me -- our relationship and not the worlds.
To narrow it down and sum it all up:
We all have our own Nick Viall, maybe you've found yours, or maybe you haven't yet, but choose to never take him for granted. I promise you, we are all destined to spark our own scripted version of The Bachelor by writing our own personalized love story already created for us.