Being a single mom is hard work. Yes, it is rewarding. Yes, there is a silver lining. But a lot of the time it sucks.
1. You are the only one who tells your kid "no."
2. Whether they want a toy from the store...
3. Or to go to a friend's house.
4. You are the only one that they can ask...
5. And the only one who can disappoint them by saying no.
6. You are responsible for everything...
7. Making sure the bills are paid...
8. Being the only one who feeds them...
9. The only one who gets them ready for school...
10. You are the only who gives baths.
11. Who helps with homework.
12. Who drives them to practice.
13. When you have more than one child you are the only one there to manage conflicting schedules...
14. And are sometimes forced to choose whether you watch her musical or his basketball game.
15. You are the only one to referee their fights...
16. And constantly being accused of having a favorite.
17. You are the only constant in your children's lives.
18. You are literally everything.
19. And it's exhausting.
20. It's crying in the shower because it's the only time you are alone.
21. It's trying to stay up late to get housework done, but falling asleep minutes after your kids do.
22. It's never feeling like you are enough.
23. It's feeling guilty for what they are missing.
24. It's being told you are strong-
25. And admirable-
26. But you don't want to be.
27. You wish you didn't have to be.
28. You don't feel strong.
28. You feel the weight of the world on your shoulders.
29. You feel broken.
30. You never doubt your love for your children,
31. But you constantly doubt yourself.
32. But you are doing the best you can
33. And your children love you for everything you do.
34. And you are not alone.
For more of Mary's writing follow her on Facebook.