Your favorite teacher, by far, is one of the most important people you’ll have in your life – to whom you often forgot to say thank you.
Through everything you had to put up with in school, the right teacher can really change the course of your life. When a teacher's work is done and their aim is fulfilled – you’ll think that you did it yourself. The best teachers always took a little more in their share of the blame, and a little less in their share of the credit. This is often why they are so undervalued, but they are truly the most important.
Your favorite teacher probably influenced you in many ways that you didn't even know:
1. Thank you for being close enough to relate to me, but far enough ahead to motivate me. You were always able to relate to me, you were never condescending or superior. You looked at me like I was on the same level as you. Though I was too stubborn and young to know it at the time, you were always ahead of me to inspire me to do better, and be better.
2. Thank you for pushing me to my limits. At times I hated you for pushing me so hard, but it made me stronger. Your mission was not to be liked or to make speeches, it was to make us better. I didn't want to be pushed; I wanted to be comfortable. But you took me to a level where I was suppose to be. Because of you, I know my potential, and that's powerful.
3. Thank you for teaching me to think for myself. You taught me to always think for myself; you always told me to question everything – even what you told me. This innovative thinking is subconsciously in me and affects every decision I have to make in my life.
4. Thank you for inspiring me to be confident. Believing in myself was probably the hardest thing I ever had to do, but you taught me to do it. Thank you for seeing the potential in me when I didn't, and for unlocking it. You helped me grow into the person who I am today.
5. Thank you for inspiring me to lead. You were the kind of teacher who inspired more leaders, not followers. I learned to obey you because I wanted to, not because I had to.
6. Thank you for your passion. Your courage to fulfill your vision came from your passion to teach me to be better; not from your position or authority. Your genuine passion for the subject made me excited about it. I would have never discovered my love or talent for it if it weren't for you.
7. Thank you for making me laugh on days where nothing felt okay. I'll never forget your quirks or funny little life lessons that you told along the way.
8. Thank you for the integrity of your intentions. You truly wanted things to be better, and I know that now. You really saved my ass multiple times and I'll never forget your humility, clarity, and courage.
9. Thank you for teaching me how to go get what I want. I know now how hard you worked to be a good teacher, and you taught me that any goal is achieved through hard work. Looking back now, you probably questioned yourself every day because you wanted to be the best for us. You earned your leadership every day.
10. Thank you for listening to me. Your lessons went far beyond the classroom and you empowered me in more ways than you'll ever know.
11. Thank you for deciding to be a teacher; a leader.