It’s a pretty lucky thing to have a friend that outlasts those awkward middle school years, high school drama, and the uncharted territory of adulthood. No matter what, your best friend has been there for you through every success, failure, and all of those random boring nights chilling in their room.
Your best friend can basically reiterate your entire life story into a novel. Here are 18 things that only long term best friends understand:
1. They’ve seen you at your absolute worst.
Anything from throwing up on your crush at a party to serious family issues, you’ve seen and done it all together.
2. And they've been there at 3am to help you get through it.
No matter how trivial or major, you know they’ll be there anytime, day or night, to support you.
3. You have a mutual understanding that pizza time is anytime.
4. You have your own weird ways of communicating with each other.
When you’ve been so comfortable with someone for so long, shit get’s weird. You guys don’t need words to communicate, anything from animal noises to weird mating calls, you guys are on your own level of communication.
5. You know each others sexual history like it’s your own.
You basically know every vulgar detail of their love life, and you love to randomly remind them of those embarrassing hookups for a hilarious reaction.
6. There are no boundaries in terms of personal space.
You’ve slept in the same bed and used the bathroom together so many times that you guys are basically becoming the same person.
7. Or a conception of personal belongings.
Hairbrushes, clothes, makeup, email passwords, there’s literally no limit to how much you guys share. You probably even buy new things keeping in mind if your best friend would like it or not.
8. No matter how long you’ve been apart from each other, you can pick up as if you were never gone.
As agonizing as those few days/months/years were apart, you keep up with each others lives so easily it’s as if you're never apart.
9. When you introduce them to new people, you bring up the most embarrassing stories.
Because it’s just essential to understanding your best friend's drunken ravings the first time someone meets them.
10. And you can expect the same about you.
Yeah pretty much everyone you meet knows about that horrific one time….
11. You can sit in silence in the same room for hours and randomly make noises to communicate or comment on something just to hear their inevitable agreement.
You know each other so well, there’s no need to try to keep a conversation going, only reminders that you’re still alive from across the room.
12. You’re their go-to confidant, and vice versa.
You and your bestie have ranted about everything from the struggles of peasant life to the professor who is a seriously unfair grader. And they’ve complained about it as if it were their own problem.
13. You know their favorites, and can talk them into or out of any situation.
Whether it’s deciding on a going-out outfit or helping them decide on what food they want to eat, it’s second nature to rationalize any of their decisions.
14. You’ve had nicknames for each other since forever.
It could be a play-on each others real names or a descriptive trait of their personality—but you definitely have nicknames. And both of your parents are so used to hearing it that they refer to their own child by your given nickname.
15. And you’ve got names for everyone else, too.
You have the same frenemies, and obviously need to talk about them in code just for the fun of it.
16. You tell each other your honest opinons when they ask for it.
There’s no “Oh that looks pretty on you!” bullshit. If you look like a doily, your bestie won’t let you leave the dressing room.
17. You’ve got each other’s backs, no matter what.
Everything from the kale caught between your teeth to that basic bitch throwing shade, you stand by each other’s sides forever.
18. Your conversations consist of either laying around groaning, making faces at each other, or reminiscing with those “remember whens..”
Over the years you’ve had too much fun together, and you both know that there's more fun to come for the rest of your lives.