Back in 2009, researchers at the University of Montreal wanted to study the effects of pornography on men.
As with any scientific experiment, they needed men who have watched or looked at porn, and an equal number of men who hadn't. The problem? Researchers were unable to find a suitable sample group of men who had never, ever looked at or watched pornography. In fact, they weren't able to find any men at all who hadn't. It seems that at some point in their lives—all men watch porn. (Please spare me the #NotAllMen whining). Despite this, sex-crazed men are not roaming the streets in a constant sexed-up frenzy.
Porn gets a bad rap. Why? Some folks mistakenly belief that it's addictive (more on that later). Some people lie to their spouses about it (don't put the blame on porn when the real problem is that your husband is a liar!), and some kids use porn as a sexual primer—and that's not what it's for.
People get hysterical about porn for reasons that have nothing to do with actually watching strangers perform sex acts. Could it be that pornography is actually good for us? Yep. How do we know?
- High Libido. Indulging in pornography is a sign of a high libido—which plenty of people, male and female, are looking for in a partner. If you aren't into having an abundance of sexy times, a partner who looks at porn may not be the right partner for you.
- Catharsis. Whether you just broke up with someone, or have yet to find the love of your life—there are times when you have urges and no partner to help you fulfill them. Pornography is a suitable substitute for RL giggity, one that might even keep you from making a bad sexual decision.
- Porn inspires Fantasy. Dr Ethel Person, clinical psychiatry professor at Columbia University, has stated that fantasies are good for us, and help us understand our relationships and ourselves better. Watching porn is essentially fantasizing about sexual situations, which if Dr Person is to be believed, builds character and hones people skills.
- Non-Addictive. Naysayers the world over have asserted that pornography is a dangerous addiction that desensitizes us to sexual arousal. Yeah, people actually believe that those who watch porn will eventually not like real sex anymore. We already know that all men look at porn. We also know that babies keep being born—so clearly plenty of men are looking at porn and also having sex. Duh.
- Stress Relieving. How often do you zone out in front of the TV after a long day? Would it matter if the thing you were zoning out to was porn? Many people watch porn without masturbating to it, though some do. Whichever is your bag, you should know that relaxation is important to your mental and physical wellbeing, whether it involves pornography or not.
- Hangups be Damned! A Danish study from 2008 is clear in its assertion that watching porn helps both men and women explore taboo sexual topics and actions. This leads to free discussion with their partner and more openness in relationships overall.
- Marriage Helper. If you've ever been to one of those sex-toy stores that call everything a "marital aid," you might already know that honest sexual experimentation and discussion—including tastes in toys and porn—is good for couples. Does that mean every couple should watch porn together? Maybe…but only if they want to.
- Women dig it. Contemporary gender roles still cling to the idea that porn is degrading to women, that they shouldn't like it, and that it's sexist. Personally, I think telling women what they should like or what they should feel offended by are a damn sight more sexist than anything I've seen in a porno.
- Decreases Sex Crimes. I'm not gonna talk a lot about sex crimes, because there's nothing sexy about that. But plenty of scientists and statisticians believe that porn use lessens sex crimes by providing a safe and harmless outlet for unusual, or even potentially harmful sexual desires.
- It feels awesome. Not everyone agrees that porn consumption or even masturbation are okay things to do. Of course, that doesn't actually stop people from doing these things. It only insures that they feel guilty after they do. Relax, enjoy some porn, and save the guilt for when you do something that's actually harmful.