Your jackets are an essential part of your wardrobe. And since they’re your companion for every weather, your jacket can begin to show wear and tear.
But guess what, a little TLC can keep your jacket in mint condition – even years after you purchased them.
Want to learn how?
Read on to learn some easy ways to take care of your jacket.
Simple Ways to Care for Your Jacket
Pay Attention to the Material
Not all fabrics are made the same, so you can’t use a one-size-fits-all care strategy. Before attempting to clean or wash your jacket, identify the type of fabric. Different jackets require different cleaning techniques.
We’ll discuss ways you can wash and maintain different jackets in more detail later.
Read the Tag
The first place to consult is the tag on your jacket. It contains important advice from the manufacturer on how to clean and care for it.
Store Your Jacket Properly
Storing your jacket properly will help protect its texture and keep it as good as new for a long time. The best way to store your jacket is to hang it on a hanger in your closet, preferably in the breathable jacket cover that came with it. Remember to give it enough space to hang loosely without getting crushed between other clothes.
Since coats are made of heavier fabric, take special care when hanging them. Use a sturdy hanger with padded shoulders to prevent stretching the coat and damaging the fabric.
Avoid folding your jacket at all costs since this can create stubborn creases. What’s worse, you could end up damaging the material if you try ironing the creases out.
Wash It with Care
Yes, I know you can’t go anywhere without your favorite jacket, but there will come a time when it needs to get washed. So when should you wash it?
This depends on how often you wear it. If you use it occasionally, consider washing your jacket at the end of the season before stashing it at the back of your closet. And if you wear it, consider cleaning it mid-season too.
When it comes time to wash your jacket, you can’t go wrong with handwashing it. So even though you may be tempted to dump it into the washing machine, fetch a tub, put a little bit of mild detergent, and soak it for a few minutes. Gently rub the fabric against itself to loosen up the dirt and grime. Now rinse and repeat. Let it drip dry on the edge of the sink before hanging it on a padded hanger.
That wasn’t too hard, was it?
But if this is not your cup of tea, simply hand over your jacket to a professional jacket cleaning service.
How to Take Care of Different Jackets
Let’s take a closer look at specific ways to clean some of your favorite jackets.
● The easiest way to take care of your leather jacket is to keep it dry. If you get caught in the rain wearing your leather jacket, dry it off immediately. Otherwise, mold and mildew may appear on your jacket.
● If your leather jacket gets dirty, blot the stain with a damp cloth. Avoid rubbing the leather because this could cause it to fade. Make sure to dry the surface completely.
● Leather jackets need to be moisturized regularly to remain soft and supple. If you don’t apply leather conditioner, the color will start to fade.
● Don’t iron or steam your leather jacket. The heat will make the outer layer crack and blister.
● Puffer jackets don’t require too much washing. Try to keep it down to once a year.
● If your puffer jacket gets dirty, gently wipe the surface with a damp cloth.
● Do not wash your puffer jacket by hand. It may get too heavy in the water, and it can be hard to rinse the soap out. Instead, wash it in the washing machine. Put a couple of clean tennis balls in the washer and dryer to prevent the down lining from clumping.
● Set the washing machine to ‘gentle wash’ and the drier on the lowest heat. Make sure to spin the puffer jacket thoroughly. Otherwise, the down-lining interior could rot.
● If you spill something on your letterman jacket, clean the spot as quickly as possible. Dab with a clean towel. Avoid rubbing the stain since this could damage the fabric.
● Before washing your jacket, read the care instructions on the tag. Your letterman jacket may be made of various materials, e.g., fleece, leather, polycotton, etc. Excessive heat can shrink your jacket, so don’t dry it in the dryer.
● If your jacket has leather sleeves, use leather conditioner regularly.
● Jackets with chenille patches need your special attention because they have been made with so much love and precision, and at times they have also been customized to your liking. Therefore it‘s advised to wash them gently with care to make sure you cause no damage to this beloved essential.
Faux Fur Jacket
● You can quickly refresh your faux fur coat by vacuuming it.
● Repair any small tears immediately. Simply stitch it by hand with a matching thread.
● If the fur isn’t as fluffy as usual, consider sprucing it up with a hairdryer.
● To soften the fur, put a spoonful of hair conditioner in a spray bottle and add lukewarm water. Lightly spray this mixture all over the jacket, then comb through the fur with a wide-toothed comb. Finally, dry it with a hairdryer. However, keep the setting on cool.
● Do not attempt to wash your faux fur jacket at home. This is one jacket you definitely need to send to the dry cleaners.
● Avoid wearing your favorite wool coat in rainy weather.
● Refresh your jacket by brushing it with a suede brush. Then run a lint roller over it to pick up any dirt or lint from the surface.
● If you spill something on your woolen jacket, blot it with a napkin as soon as possible.
● Do not hang your woolen jacket on a clothes peg because this can cause the fabric to stretch around the collar.
● Read the instructions on the tag before attempting to wash your woolen coat. Some can be washed by hand, while others can only be dry cleaned. If your jacket can be hand washed, dilute some mild detergent in a tub full of cold water, soak it for only 5 to 10 minutes, rinse with cold water, and lay it flat on a thick towel to air dry.
Over to You
A quality jacket can last a lifetime – if you take good care of it. After reading this blog, you know how to wash, clean, and maintain different types of jackets in your wardrobe without damaging them.
Follow the care instructions carefully to ensure your favorite jacket is by your side for a long, long time.