Are you enthusiastic about cycling? If yes, then you might have already started looking for bikes and other accessories. But in the beginning, the process of finding the right bike accessories can be challenging. Sometimes, you might not even understand the purpose of a particular gear. Hence, it is essential to know about the necessary accessories that keep you safe during the ride and those that are essential to add smoothness to your riding experience.
In this article, we have listed seven bike accessories that every cyclist should have regardless of the distance, terrain type, and rider’s experience. These accessories will make your ride comfortable, safer, easier, and enjoyable.
1. HelmetWearing a helmet while cycling isn’t compulsory in many regions, but it is good to stay safe during your rides. Even the experienced riders prefer wearing a helmet to keep themselves safe from any minor injuries. Moreover, you might ride safely, but you cannot predict other people’s unexpected behaviour on the road that put your life at risk. Hence, it is better to choose a helmet even though if you are going to ride for small distances.
While selecting a helmet, you should match it with your head side and riding style. If you are a casual rider, then recreational helmets can be a suitable option for you. Road bike helmets are also ideal for such rides as they are lightweight, well-ventilated, and aerodynamic. On the other hand, if you wish to go for off-road cycling, then consider choosing mountain bike helmets. They offer adequate ventilation and rear head coverage, which keeps you safe in case of a backward fall.
2. Multi-toolsThe unpredictable obstacles on the road can ruin your riding experience at times. They may either cause a loose bolt in the cycle or introduce a puncture into the tire. Hence, it is essential for every cyclist to carry multi-tools on every ride that helps in making adjustments to the bike like lowering the saddle height or tweaking the bike gears.
The multi-tools for cyclists are equivalent to the Swiss Army Knives that contains a range of tools. You can also consider adding a bike torque wrench in these tools, which helps to tighten the bolts. The multi-tools come in different size, function, and quality. Some of them are bulky and suitable for keeping at home while some are lightweight and can be carried along the ride.
3. Bike LockThe essential bike accessory every cyclist should have is the bike lock. No matter how far you are going from your house, it is always recommended to carry the bike lock along the ride. Although some bike locks can be expensive, they will be the best ones to resist the thefts.
Cables are preferable if you stay in low-crime areas, but you should consider chain locks or U-locks for strong safety if there are more bike stealing cases. The same thing applies if you use the rented bikes. Some bike rental shops provide you the lock, but some don’t. Hence, you can check with them and decide accordingly.
4. Hydration Pack or Water BottleAnother essential bike accessory on the list is the hydration gear. It can either include a water bottle or a hydration pack as per your convenience. When you go on long rides, it will become crucial to carry a considerable amount of water because you will require great energy to complete the ride.
Most riders say that a cyclist should take three big gulps after every twenty minutes. The frequency can vary according to your riding style and the weather condition. For instance, if it is a hot sunny day, then staying hydrated and drinking water after regular intervals will be of paramount importance. Thus, if you are a casual cyclist, then consider having an insulated water bottle and a water bottle cage. Besides, if you want to purchase a hydration pack, make sure to select a size bigger than what you expect you will need on the ride. Such packs help you continue the ride without having to refill the bottle on the long-distance rides.
5. Riding ShortsIf you plan for long rides or be a part of any local cycling club, then a good pair of padded shorts should be on your bike accessories list. The riding shorts are designed to move along with you so that you don’t have to deal with rubbing and chaffing after long rides. The padded ones give you a small cushion between the saddle and your backside for a comfortable bike ride.
You will find various styles to choose from riding shorts such as sporty or casual ones. You can select any of them depending on your comfort, convenience, and riding style. The casual and loose-fitting riding shorts can also become your favorite as they offer a minimalistic appearance.
6. Cycling glovesCycling gloves hold great importance in every cyclist’s life. These gloves offer multiple benefits such as protect your hands in case of an accident, prevent blisters and friction, and protect your ulnar nerve. The ulnar nerve runs through your palm, and when you place ongoing pressure on this nerve, you start to experience numbness and pain in your fingers.
But the presence of cycling gloves prevents such issues and adds ease to your cycling experience. While selecting the cycling gloves, you should check the fitting as they should be perfect for your palm. They shouldn’t be too tight or too loose as such gloves can ruin your ride.
7. BagYou need to carry many things while going on a bicycle ride such as money, keys, tools, and various other gears on long rides. Hence, it is convenient to carry a small bag that holds everything in one place. You can either choose a compact rucksack with compression straps or a courier-style shoulder bag. If you feel that the bag will add discomfort to your cycling experience, then you can add panniers to the bike.
Conclusion:You can always add more accessories to your list but make sure you add the above-listed bike accessories on your list as they hold great importance in a cyclist’s life.