Summertime is the greatest time of the year. School’s out, the weather’s great and you’re off to make memories doing whatever summer plans you have. But if those plans involve sleepaway camp, you know your summer is gonna kick ass:
1. The phrase “We live 10 months for two” touches you deeply.
You constantly ask yourself why you must suffer throughout the other, irrelevant three seasons when you’re just going to keep coming back to this wonderful place for eight weeks each summer.
2. Your camp friends are some of your best friends.
You’ve created an air-tight bond with these people. You’ve shared things with them you’ve never told anyone else. They’re your people. There’s no one else you’d let catch you while you fall off a log during a trust-building exercise — and there’s no one you’d rather get naked in front of during Shower Hour. Friends, friends, friends, we will always beeeeee…
3. You remember the choreography to every dance number you’ve performed.
“All Star” was the No. 1 jam for camp choreo your first summer. And you nailed every single move flawlessly — and still can.
4. The number of people you know from around the country is insane.
When you got to college, you immediately met people who knew your camp friends in New York, Florida and Pennsylvania. “Yasss I love Lexi. She’s my roommate’s BFF’s cousin.”
5. You have a bittersweet relationship with “Reveille.”
It’s the only thing that will get you up at 7 a.m. Ever.
6. You were jealous of your friends who passed their swim test on the first try.
To paraphrase T. Swift: You wear life-vests; they wear tankinis. They’re swim captain, and you’re on the pool deck. Dreamin’ ’bout the day when you wake up and find that you can GO IN THE MOTHERF*CKING DEEP END ALREADY.
7. Some of your deepest crushes were at camp.
Before canteen, you’d douse your face with eyeshadow and lipstick, and dress to the nines (read: a black tee, denim skirt and “strappy” flip-flops) with your friends to attract the cutest boy in your age group. Or maybe even that hot CIT… *Swoon*
8. You got starstruck whenever the “camp celebrity” spoke to you.
There was always one counselor or staff member that everyone knew and who was super cool. But you never got the chance (read: were too intimidated) to talk to them. But that one day during Color War when you were on their team and they congratulated you on winning a challenge was the coolest moment of your life.
9. You would rather make friendship bracelets during Rest Hour than write letters home.
Even though your counselors implemented a “one letter” rule, in which you had to write at least one letter before actually doing fun stuff with the rest of your bunkmates. Thank you, fill-in-the-blank stationery.
10. But then when you actually received mail, it was the greatest thing ever.
The Blue’s Clues mail time song was always the first thing you thought of: Here’s the mail; it never fails; it makes me wanna wag my tail. When it comes, I wanna wail, “MAILLLLLLL.”
11. On the last night of camp, you bawled with your bunkmates until your cheeks were soaked.
It’s so hard to say goodbye to your friends, counselors and the memories you’ve created together. But you know you’ll be back in 10 months to see everyone again. Damn, that’s a long time…