Pretty much since the day we’re born, we’re led to believe that we are in some constant competition. We are conditioned to compare, compare, compare. It’s really easy to get caught up in all that bullshit and believe you’re behind where you’re supposed to be for your age or that a single mistake is the end of the world.
The truth is, your age is not some indicator of where you should be and there is no time limit on figuring out who you are and what you want; the only person you need to impress or outdo is yourself.
Here are some signs that you can relax and breath, cause you’re pretty much killing it, without even noticing that you are:
1. You have criticism. That means you’re actually an individual. You challenge and confront people, you stand up for things.
2. You take risks. Even if it’s small risks like speaking to who you want when you’re out, or taking a class that intimidates you, those small risks are everything because you’re doing something even know it scares you, and everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear.
3. You know what you deserve. You understand that it is not the thought that counts. Someone can have the best intentions in the world, but if they don’t execute them, what’s the point? You won’t settle unless someone is willing to show you that they care – they show up for you, they are there for you when you need them. So many settle with people that mistreat them.
4. You’re working on building the new. We’ve all made mistakes, mistakes are inevitable in a life worth living. But instead of trying to fight the old, you’re focusing all you energy on building the new, to innovate the life you actually want to live. This is the first step to change and also to tap into an extraordinary life.
5. You think for yourself. Do you understand how rare and special that is? So many people live someone else’s life, their thoughts are someone else’s opinions. To think for yourself and to stand up for what you believe is rare; most people prefer to go with the crowd because it’s much easier than to think for yourself.
6. You’re constantly asking the question, “why?” You hate the concept of how things “should be.” You couldn’t live a “normal” life if you tried. Most people follow the pre-determined form and don’t see right through existing structures and methods, and all the ways they’re inept and unnecessary.
7. You’ll never just accept something. You question everything and investigate things for ourselves. It’s your intolerance of how things are “supposed to be” that has sparked you to start innovating the life you actually want to live, and you’re pretty much killing it because of it.
8. You’re growing into your own wrongness. You’re starting to love yourself in all your glory and imperfections. Most people never deal with who they truly are. But only when we face ourselves and love our flaws can we fully open to our ability to love others.
9. You care. So many people desensitize themselves – they are all afraid to say too much, to feel too deeply, to let people know what they mean to them. But you can’t get what you truly want unless you take that risk and let your guard down.
10. You refuse to settle. You won’t be with someone out of convenience. You first want to be sure of yourself, because only then will you be sure when you meet an extraordinary love.
11. You appreciate people. So many people are selfish and lose great things and relationships around them because they don’t nurture them.
12. You know when you’re wrong. It takes a lot of courage to endure the sharp pains of self-discovery. Admitting that you were wrong takes a lot strength. Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
That is where an extraordinary life starts – It’s not about never making mistakes, never making a fool of yourself; success is failing and getting back up. That’s the real success. The perseverance, the effort, the aiming to be human, not perfect.