If you’re strapped for cash or just trying to save some money – there are some great ways to get free rent that don’t involve living in a homeless shelter or bumming it on the street. For many, the cost of living expenses are the number one financial burden and take up to 80% of some peoples paycheck (ouch!)
It may take some searching, but with a little effort, it can be found.
Here are some great ways to save live rent-free:
- Become an apartment manager. Almost every apartment complex needs an apartment manager to accept rent payments, send out late rent notices and even clean the property. If this is something you feel would be easy for you – it’s worth a look-see. Many of them not only offer you rent free, but also benefits and sometimes even salary!
- Become a live-in Babysitter. If you love kids, search on craigslist under child care. There are tons of parents that would like to find a live-in nanny to become part of the family. You typically get your own furnished room (or even guest casita if you’re lucky). The sweet deal typically includes free cable T.V., phone and maybe even some grub.
- Move back in with Mom and Pops. Beware – if you have a sucky relationship with your parents – this is not for you!
- Become a stable hand. Are you an animal lover? Do horses in particular speak to your inner animal totem? If so, consider becoming a stable hand. Yes, you may have to shovel up gigantic dung, but you’ll also get a super workout, a great tan and one of the funnest things to do on the planet – ride horses. 9 times out of 10, stables have accommodations for a farm boy or girl. Just be up for hearing neighs and whinnys at night!
- Barter. Do you have some service you can offer? Post it as a listing on craigslist or other barter sites. You never know. Many people are looking for personal assistants, web designers or even healthy chefs to live with them and run errands as needed in exchange for free room and board.
- Find a Co-op. One of the most unique experiences is living in a co-op community. It usually consists of your own living space in exchange for you becoming a productive member of the community. Prepare to offer what you can in the way of cooking, cleaning, teaching, gardening, etc. But the best part is you that get to really connect with people and create a “family.???
- Check out Couchsurfing.org. What a splendid idea to experience another culture (even if it’s in your own city). Every family has a slightly different culture or way of life, right? Many great families open up their doors and hearts to couchsurfers and in exchange, hopefully, you’ll do the same for others in the future. Just leave the spot as clean if not better than you found it.