If you are like me, you are always trying to add the most nutrient-dense superfoods into your diet.
If you’re going to eat foods, they may as well be super. Maca root is definitely at the top of my list for being a mini superhero of the plant kingdom. Maca Root, a.k.a “Peruvian Ginseng”, is not just a new fad food. It has a long and rich history beginning at incredible altitudes in the Andes Mountains. Used as a food staple by the native people of Peru for centuries, it has served as a natural remedy for an array of diseases and as a tasty ingredient in culinary delicacies.
What is an Adaptogen?
An adaptogen is an incredible category of herbs that work to keep the body in homeostasis. These special plants help the body cope with stress, boost the immune system, and balance the hormones naturally.
Maca Provides large amounts of amino acids, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, phytonutrients, zinc, and fatty acids, it’s also a rich source of vitamin B, C, and E – and with little to no side effects.
Here are some secret (and not so secret) benefits from taking this humble root:
Butt enhancer After reading this post, ladies are going to be lining up at the health food isles with maca root in bulk. Some women have reported seeing an increase in booty size from taking maca root. Yup, a natural way to get your Nicki Minaj on. No studies have been done on this intriguing effect, but the hormone balancing properties
of Maca may have something to do with it.
- Sex Drive A study conducted by Gustavo Gonzales, a scientist at Peru Cayetano Heredia University, showed over the course of 9 months that maca root found a 200% increase in libido, and up to twice the level of normal sperm production in men between the ages of 20 and 40 – hence it’s new nickname “herbal viagra!”
- Skin Health Used for all sorts of skin problems including acne, eczema, psoriasis, rosacia, and even scars. This super root’s hormone balancing and stabilizing capabilities are known to promote clear skin and boost collagen production. Maca is also said to protect the skin from extreme weather conditions from blistering cold to sweltering hot.
- Mood Stabilizer From depression and mood swings to stress and irritability, maca is known to balance the endocrine system for emotional stability and balance.
- Feminine Health Maca is a woman’s health treasure trove! Used for eons as a remedy for menopause (including osteoporosis and hot flashes). It has also been used as an alternative to hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Many success stories are coming out as a treatment for menstrual cramps, PMS, irregular periods and infertility too.
- Energy Enhancer If you are feeling a bit low in the energy department, Maca can help! It is used for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and low adrenal function. Maca is the new coffee without the jittery side effects! Julio Castro, Dean of Peru’s College of Doctors told Reuters, “According to reports from the international medical community, the plant definitely has energy giving properties, boosts physical and sexual performance … Preliminary reports are promising.”
- Immune System Booster Maca roots adaptogenic powers enhance the body’s resistance to diseases through their ability to increase physiological and emotional health. Maca is now being studied for use in auto-immune disorders – including HIV/AIDS, leukaemia, tuberculosis, and some cancers.
- Blood Tonic Being high in iron is what makes maca effective for something called “tired blood” (a form of anaemia). This blood builder raises haemoglobin levels, increases red blood cell count, and strengthens the blood against leukocytes.
- Anti-Aging A declining hormonal system is a major source of aging. Maca balances and strengthens progesterone, estrogen, and testosterone – keeping the endocrine system young and healthy.
Maca has a slightly sweet/pungent flavor similar to chicory root. It comes as a powder which is great in smoothies and baked goods. If the powder isn’t your cup of tea, you can take it as a supplement. The Incan’s actually believed Maca to have “magical properties” and it’s clear why. With all the benefits of taking Maca Root, I’m excited to give it a try. But my main interest is to see what magical things may occur.