What the heck is vaginal steaming, you ask? Well, believe it or not, it’s being called the “in” thing right now amongst the hollywood elite. Gwyneth Paltrow really kickstarted the movement with a post on her ever-popular lifestyle blog Goop saying the V-steam was “an energetic release.”
She praised her experience at the yoni steaming Tikkun Spa, in Santa Monica.
She claimed, “The real golden ticket here is the Mugwort V-Steam. You sit on what is essentially a mini-throne, and a combination of infrared and mugwort steam cleanses your uterus, et al.”
Gwyneth, among many others believe it’s great for the uterus as well as a way to balance female hormones.
V-steams also known as bajo, Chai-yok or yoni steaming are new to the western world, but actually have a long history in Korea and Central and South America, as a natural way to enhance vaginal health.
Rosita Arvigo, Doctor of Naprapathy and Master Herbalist, has spent decades studying the technique with Mayan women who use the natural remedy regularly. Dr. Arvigo says that yoni steaming is “a woman’s treatment” that is “universally effective for any aspect of uterine pathology.”
“Vaginal steaming is as popular in Mayan culture as drinking peppermint tea is in American culture. In Central America, the remedy is called a bajo, and it is very common among women because it works,” Rosita proclaims.
Health claims of vaginal steaming include:
- Eases menstrual cramps
- Treats yeast infections and maintains healthy odor
- Relieves menopausal symptoms
- Boosts fertility.
- Regulates irregular or absent menstrual cycles
- Speeds healing and tones the reproductive system after birth
- Treats uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, uterine weakness and uterine prolapse
- Assist with the healing of hemorrhoids
- Detoxify the womb and remove toxins from the body.
How does it work?
Dr. Arvigo explains, “the tissues of the vagina are exceptionally porous and absorbent, and the warmth of the steam works to soften and open them. When the herbs are placed in the hot water, their medicinal properties, including volatile oils, are released and carried to the surface of your skin, and to the inside of the vagina, where they are absorbed into the bloodstream and, ultimately, into to the uterus.
The medicinal herbal steam increases circulation, thins mucus, and cleanses the entire reproductive system, allowing it to shed unnecessary membranes and buildup. In doing so, we support the uterus to function at its best, thus reducing the amount of work it has to do, and therefore your discomfort.”
There is no scientific evidence for the effectiveness of a V-steam, but the practice is catching on quickly. If you’re not able to get to a Yoni Steaming Spa, you can also perform one in the comfort of your own home.
According to Sierra Brashear owner of ‘Vibrant Souls Yoni Steam’:
- Simply steep approximately 1 heaping cup dry yoni steaming herbs in a basin of hot water,
- Remove your clothing from the waist down, and find a quiet place to relax with the steam below your bottom for 20-40 minutes.
- Be sure the water isn’t too hot, so as to avoid burns.
- Stay wrapped in warm blankets as you sit. This is a great time to write in a journal, meditate or set some intentions!
- Once the time has passed, remain wrapped in blankets and lie down in a warm bed for the night. The herbs will continue to work on your reproductive system as you sleep, and you’ll wake up feeling healed and nurtured.
Sierra says you may even feel happier!
“I believe it’s time for women everywhere to go inside our proverbial red tents to discover our own bodies, and to begin to understand the gifts the Earth has given us to treat ourselves, says Sierra.
“I invite you to share this knowledge with the women in your life, because happier yonis mean happier women, and happier communities for everyone.”