Relationships aren't easy. In fact, it's kind of like a constant balancing act. I've noticed that there are some mistakes people seem to make over and over again, especially in the beginning of relationships.
I'm no expert, but here are some common mistakes people might make without even realizing it.
1) Being co-dependent- The lovey-dovey phase is always blissful. You guys spend all your free time together. However, here is a very important statement: You do not need other people to make you happy.
While you might focus a lot of your time with your significant other, make sure you don’t depend your happiness on him or her.
If you find yourself constantly making the effort in the relationship and planning your schedule based on your significant other, stop and think about the other things you have going for you besides your relationship.
There should be plenty!
2) Controlling too much- If you have to set restrictions on your significant other, then there is a problem.
If you’re worried he or she might cheat, then there is a problem. Your solution cannot be locking him or her up. What is going to happen if you’re at work or in class? Or when you go on vacation? If you’re worried someone is going to cheat on you, then that person probably has or will.
And if they're not cheating on you, then there is still some sort of miscommunication. You shouldn’t want to be with someone who makes you feel insecure all the time.
3) Rushing into things- This can mean a lot of things.
Obviously there is the physical kind of rushing where things can messy real fast.
Additionally, if you emotionally invest yourself in a new relationship, then there is going to be an attachment that might be unhealthy. For a new relationship, take some time and reflect. Why are you jumping into this relationship? Some people do because they’re lonely.
Sometimes, you might not even like the person. Know yourself and think about if you genuinely like the person you're with and if you like the person in the mirror.
Insecurities can get the best of us, so remember to slow down.
4) Communication- Make sure you can talk to your significant other and be comfortable about it. The whole analyzing your every text thing has to stop eventually.
This is the main reason why relationships end. Two people can’t express their issues with each other. Instead, one person might be passive aggressive while another person might talk crap to their friends rather than going to the source directly.
If there’s a problem, let someone know, and be honest. It's way easier than some guessing game.
5) Taking him/her for granted- This happens too often in relationships when two people get too comfortable with each other.
Once you’re in a relationship, you have to prioritize other aspects in life such as work, school and friends. However, don’t ignore your partner.
Make sure you remind your significant other how special he or she is. Also, make sure you schedule time for dates and quality time.
6) Changing yourself- Don’t be anything, but yourself. When you start a new relationship, you may want to find common ground, but don’t pretend to like things he or she likes just because you like them.
You don’t always have to agree with everything your significant other says. When you’re in a relationship, you should feel like the best version of yourself. If someone doesn’t like something about you, then that’s probably not the right person for you.
At the end of the day, make sure you're with someone who makes you happy! That's the best advice I can give.