Having a guarded heart makes getting close to someone quite the struggle. In fact, opening up is a step by step process for us and dating is no exception.
There are some things you have to keep in mind before you get together with someone who has a hardened heart:
- We keep our emotions in a jack-in-the-box. We understand the damaging risks that come from following our feelings which is why we keep our emotions heavily secure. As a result, when we do show emotions, they’re more intense than usual. We may get angry at seemingly small things like the toilet being left up, cry over disagreements, or seem overly joyous and loving when happy.
- We’re not fans of online dating. Online dating is very risky for us. It’s easier to read someone in person through posture, gestures, and speech than through swipes, selfies, and messages. Meeting up with you in person allows us to get to know you better and know what we’re getting into.
- We go slow in relationships. Those with guarded hearts know all too well the danger of going into a relationship too quickly. We’ll take our time to get to know you first before taking it to the next level. Which is why…
- We’d rather hear more about you than talk about ourselves. It may seem like we’re mysterious at first, but it’s really the shell we close ourselves in. We’re cautious about sharing our lives because we don’t want to share too much information in fear that it could reveal our vulnerability or worse, be used against us during arguments and fights.
- We’ll treat you right. We’ll give you the love and treatment we’ve always wanted in our own lives through things like thoughtful dates, cute text messages here and there, random late night conversations, etc. We would never want to take you for granted nor take advantage of you in any way.
- We like socializing…but we’re very selective with who we socialize with. Although we’ll be opened to chilling with your friends, if they give us a bad vibe, we won’t bother. We’d rather not waste our time trying to befriend people who just aren’t right for us.
- We highly value our alone time…because we’re also loners. We don’t mind being around you, but there will be days where we need time to ourselves and take a break from the world.
- We have trust issues. It’s going to take a while before we can fully trust you with our love. It’s not you, but the people in our past who stomped on that trust. We’ve learned the hard way to not give it away so freely.
- We’re careful about affection. There will be times where we’ll minimize our cuddles and kisses because affection tends to leave a bitter aftertaste for us. That’s not to say we don’t have the desire to shower you with hugs and kisses. It’s just the discomfort we have to push pass.
- If we invite you into our hearts, we’re crazy about you. It takes a lot for us to fully invite someone into our lives, so if we allow you to come in than we’re head over heels for you and willing to take this journey with you.