Puppy love is cute and sweet. Or should I say “short and sweet???? The puppy love phase only lasts for around 3-6 months – a year of you’re lucky. That’s the time when you really need to put in some work if you want to make your relationship last.
Pastor and relationship expert, Kevin A. Thompson, said “I’m convinced the number one cause of divorce is not adultery, financial problems, or irreconcilable difference…The most common issue I see with couples who are struggling in marriage is a lack of intentional investment in their marriage.??? Basically, in a nutshell, not caring.
Furthermore, recent study from UCLA shows that the true test in a relationships comes when you have to make sacrifices for the other person and “take active steps to maintain the relationship,” no matter the personal costs, says Thomas Bradbury, senior author of the study and a psychology professor who co-directs the Relationship Institute.
If you believe your woman is a keeper, here are some ways to show her how much you truly care (and keep her… get it? Keeper…keep her…nevermind):
- Make eye contact: Especially when she is communicating with you, turn off the tube and give her some respect. Eye contact is one of the main cornerstones of conscious communication. Looking at her shows that you are interested in what she has to say, that she’s important to you and that you truly care.
- It’s the little things: A little note on her dashboard saying you love her. A cooked meal (by you). A short poem left on her voicemail. It’s the little things that stand out and make us say “damn, I love that man!???
- ..and it’s also the big things: Every now and then, something big would be nice too. It doesn’t have to be super expensive, but it has to be well thought out. An entire day together planned by you. From the spa to a romantic dinner cruise. Make a memory!
- Tell her how you feel: Women need to hear how you feel – constantly. Tell her how much she means to you, how special she is and why she’s the best…ever!
- Show her affection: This goes without saying. Affection is unexpectedly kissing her gently on the neck. It’s caressing her back when she walks by. It’s holding her hand. And last but not least, it’s long, passionate, sweet love-making.
- Check in: If you’re away for an extended period of time – it’s common courtesy to check in and let her know that you’re okay and thinking about her. Women have that natural motherly worry in them. A simple text message is not too much to ask.
- Take her advice: If she’s giving you constructive criticism, instead of beefing up and getting defensive, take her words into consideration. She might just be onto something. Taking her advice shows her that you care about her thoughts, respect her intuition and trust her wisdom.
- Express appreciation: Women can get very resentful if their hard work, love and dedication go unappreciated. Make it a point to compliment her for a job well done, even if it’s as simple as a “thank you??? for always keeping the house clean or always having your back. Sing her praise and she’ll sing yours back.
- Don’t stop the courtship: Problems in relationships happen when the courtship ends and the laziness begins. Keep the flame burning by always showing her that you are interested in her and are excited to spend time with her. Flowers and chocolate from time-to-time won’t hurt either.
- Keep your promises: This is a big one. If you say you’re going to do something – be about it! Don’t just talk the talk – walk the walk. Broken promises cause hurt, and cause heartache and resentment. Avoid all three by only telling her you’re going to do something when you’re absolutely sure you will.