We all know Taylor Swift is the queen of breakup anthems. Let’s face it, we probably wouldn’t have made it through 50% of our heartaches if it wasn’t for her relatable songwriting wizardry. Here are some iconic, underrated, and flat out classic favorites:
1. “Please don’t ever become a stranger whose laugh I could recognize anywhere..” (New Year’s Day)
This lyric from New Year’s Day perfectly encapsulates that feeling of being wistfully reminiscent. Maybe you’re missing the golden days of the relationship or maybe you’re romanticizing memories. Either way, this one hits home when you’re learning how to exist in a world where your “person” is now a stranger.
2. “And if my wishes came true, it would’ve been you..” (the 1)
Sometimes shit just hurts and things don’t work out the way you hoped they would.
3. “I was a dreamer before you went and let me down. Now it’s too late for you and your white horse to come around..” (White Horse)
This song is a classic for a reason.
4. “You had to kill me, but it killed you just the same. Cursing my name, wishing I stayed. You turned into your worst fears and you’re tossing out blame. Drunk on this pain..” (my tears ricochet)
Breakups are hard enough without playing the blame game and this lyric perfectly sums up how nobody wins a losing game.
5. “You call me up again just to break me like a promise…”(All Too Well)
For that moment (or moments) when you think that you and your ex just might work things out. Spoiler alert: it ended for a reason.
6. “Is it insensitive for me to say get your shit together, so I can love you..” (Renegade)
Ah, denial. We all have that one person who has a little too much potential and not quite enough of what we actually need.
7. “I don’t like your little games, don’t like your tilted stage; the role you made me play, of the fool. No I don’t like you..” (Look What You Made Me Do)
This is the song you play on repeat after realizing you were played on repeat.
8. “When I was drowning, that’s when I could finally breathe. And by morning, gone was any trace of you; I think I am finally clean..” (Clean)
This entire song is an anthem for finally leaving that toxic relationship.
9. “I forgot that you existed. And I thought that it would kill me, but it didn’t. And it was so nice, so peaceful and quiet..” (I Forgot That You Existed)
Sweet acceptance. There really is nothing like realizing you’ve gone a day or two without them crossing your mind.
10. “I only bought this dress so you could take it off…”(Dress)
Best to end on a high note here. This song will get you nice and ~moody~ for when you’re finally ready to move on and meet someone new.