We are well into Fall, and mask wearing has become the go out accessory for all. And as we scramble to find masks that feel breathable, and with straps that are comfortable, we are also looking to look our very best in them. Why should that matter, you ask?
Well, for the same reason that we love funky hats and stylish shoes. While they serve a purpose to protect us, they also become a wearable expression of our personalities and our style. Same goes for a mask.
Lana Mistakes Mesh For The Real Deal
So last week, Lana Del Rey had an impromptu book signing in LA and wore a mesh mask. And while she may have looked harem chic, her medically useless mask, the same one she wore for a recent Interview Magazine cover shoot, was all she wore to protect herself, and others from the spread of COVID19.
Fans were not impressed and rightfully outraged. And this all happened just one day after the President and First Lady were both diagnosed with the Coronavirus.
So What Masks Should I Wear?
So that we are all clear on what we should all be wearing, here are the guidelines from the CDC.
- Wear masks with two or more layers to stop the spread of COVID-19
- Wear the mask over your nose and mouth and secure it under your chin
- Masks should be worn by people two years and older
- Masks should NOT be worn by children younger than two, people who have trouble breathing, or people who cannot remove the mask without assistance
- Do NOT wear masks intended for healthcare workers, for example, N95 respirators
- CDC does not recommend the use of gaiters or face shields. Evaluation of these face covers is on-going but effectiveness is unknown at this time.
Ok I Get It, But How Do I Look Cool In Them?
So let’s get back to Lana, What should have been a beautiful book reading for “Violet Bent Backwards Over The Grass” went horribly wrong. And while we may all appreciate the want to show expression through your mask, there are options for that. You cab get masks that offer assistance for the hearing impaired here.
And maybe we somewhat feel for the artist in terms of creative expression. Brutal truth is, Lana could have pulled this off in a safe and still ultra cool, shades of cool kind of way.
Here are our top finds for masks that are safe and still give you that “lewk” you are striving for, without sacrificing comfort and safety.
CDC-approved face mask, chosen by doctors, nurses, police, frontline workers and thousands of Americans for public use. Made with nanotech materials, because they’re superior to cheaper materials like cotton and polyester in anti-droplet and antibacterial filtration, as well as moisture wicking. Yet they provide superior breathability and comfort. Machine washable, and available in stylish colors and prints. I just bought myself a three pack in both navy and tiffany blue..
For EVERY CIVIL MASK™ PURCHASED at Bsbrand.com, BlackStrap has matched it with a donated Civil Facemask to community entities and individuals in need.
Check out their civil mask. Multilayered and Microbial.
Antimicrobial – Buck Mason
Buck Mason partnered with MASKS FOR AMERICA — With the goal to donate 1 million non-medical face masks to our communities in California and the rest of the country. With the help of each purchase and donation, they have already been able to donate over 150,000 masks to those on the frontlines around the nation. Read the full story here.
Wake Up And Fight Masks By Hedley And Bennett
A super comfortable, breathable, and full adjustable for everyone the Hedley And Bennett masks were developed in concert with Dr. Robert Cho, a pediatric orthopedic surgeon at a local children’s hospital. It is designed so that you can insert a disposable filter within the fabric for an added layer of protection.
Girly pattered, with dust and particle protection and more, Wedding Star mask are affordable, safe and easily found on Amazon. Get your constellation pattern, shimmering solids, and more.. here
But I want Shimmer… look at Yerolor Masks
Ok here are some shimmering bedazzling ones that have six filters.. I love this one, it is Moroccan patterned in an indigo blue.. by Yerolor masks
And if you want a more nude look with some shimmer, check out their Girly Glam Pink Rose Gold Foil and Glitter Mesh shown on our header image. Made with Adjustable Earloop Face Mouth Anti Pollution Washable with 6 Filters
I ordered myself a black crystal one, also equipped with six filters. You can match me by getting yours here.
Masks for Working out
We are in love with this unisex one from Under Armour
- Made with high-performance UA materials, designed to be worn all day & when playing sports
- Structured design sits up off the face & lips for added comfort & breathability
- Water-resistant outer shell features smooth, breathable spacer fabric
- Anti-microbial treatment on the inside layer to help keep mask fresh
- Polyurethane open-cell foam lets air through but makes it hard for moisture & sweat to pass
- UA Iso-Chill fabric on interior lining & ear loops feels cool to the touch for as long as you wear it
- Fabric is soft & smooth for next to face comfort & moves moisture from your mouth to the insert layer
- Built-in UPF 50+ sun protection
For a list of other workout mask suggestions, check out these from The Well